Denton Hall News
- 28-Jan-2021: Latest News from Denton Hall Stables the home of Michael Dods Racing
- 15-Dec-2020: Whittle le Woods gets up in final furlong to win at Newastle under a Paul Mulrennan drive
- 07-Nov-2020: Dakota Gold storms to a hat-trick as he wins the listed Wentworth Stakes at Doncaster under Paul Mulrennan
- 27-Oct-2020: Perfect Sign strikes at Southwell to give Oisin Murphy his 1,000th winner and our first winner for Qatar Racing
- 27-Oct-2020: Byron's Choice brings up the 40-winner mark for the season, and secures a Catterick double, under Callum Rodriquez
- 27-Oct-2020: Secret Eagle lands 50-1 surprise in the hands of Phil Dennis at Catterick
- 23-Oct-2020: Bellatrixsa steps up in distance to land first race under Callum Rodriguez at Newcastle
- 19-Oct-2020: John Kirkup and Connor Beasley strike at Pontefract
- 16-Oct-2020: First Greyed strikes at Haydock under Connor Beasley to score for the second time this season
- 14-Oct-2020: He's done it again - Dakota Gold blitzes them in the Rous Stakes under Connor Beasley
- 10-Oct-2020: Dakota Gold and Connor Beasley spreadeagle the field to land the Group 3 Bengough Stakes at York
- 26-Sep-2020: Commanche Falls makes it three for the season by winning at Haydock under Connor Beasley
- 25-Sep-2020: Billy No Mates comes from last to first to win again at Haydock
- 21-Sep-2020: Blackrod lives up to debut promise to win impressively at Hamilton under Callum Rodriguez
- 18-Sep-2020: Aliento and Callum Rodriguez win in good style at Catterick
- 15-Sep-2020: Twist of Hay makes it a seaside double at Redcar under Connor Beasley
- 15-Sep-2020: Madreselva gets up in thrilling finish at Redcar under Callum Rodriquez
- 10-Sep-2020: Commanche Falls runs on well under Connor Beasley to win at Haydock
- 04-Sep-2020: Billy No Mates wins at Haydock under Connor Beasley at 16-1
- 01-Sep-2020: Veteran Mustaqbal and Callum Rodriguez make it a double for the stable at Ripon
- 01-Sep-2020: Challet gets up under Paul Mulrennan to win at Ripon
- 27-Aug-2020: Dakota Gold and Connor Beasley make all to land the listed Beverley Bullet
- 27-Aug-2020: Northern Express wins first time out at Beverley under Paul Mulrennan
- 24-Aug-2020: Inductive strikes again at Ayr under Callum Rodriguez
- 21-Aug-2020: Que Amoro runs a blinder to push Battaash all the way in the Nunthorpe
- 20-Jul-2020: 5% shares available in winning three-year-old Gigi's Beach, bought for Denton Hall Racing syndicate
- 12-Jul-2020: Third win of the weekend as Antico Lady holds on gamely under Paul Mulrennan at Hamilton
- 11-Jul-2020: Magisterium and Paul Mulrennan get up in dying strides to win at Newcastle
- 10-Jul-2020: The latest weekend preview - see the news section
- 14-Jun-2020: Barney's Blog latest - all the gossip through the eyes of Barney McGrew
Dakota Gold faces tough challenge to hump top weight in the Great St Wilfrid
TRAINER Michael Dods says Dakota Gold is in good form but faces a tough task at the weights as he bids to emulate last year's victory in the Great St Wilfrid Handicap at Ripon.
Michael gives his assessment in his latest Weekend Preview below...
"We’ve got six horses out over the weekend – four at Doncaster on Saturday and then two at Ripon on Sunday.
The first of the Saturday runners is ALIENTO, who goes in the attherace.com Handicap (3.25). She likes fast ground, so although the weather’s been a bit changeable in the last couple of days, hopefully conditions will suit. She was very unlucky last time at Ayr because she got boxed in at a crucial time and just couldn’t quite get out. It looks like a pretty competitive race, but hopefully she’ll run well.
TROUBADOR runs in the Sky Sports Racing Sky 415 Handicap (4.00), and he’s just troubled by what he did last year. We think the seven furlongs will suit him, but the truth is that he’s been crucified by the handicapper because of what he did as a two-year-old and he’s having to try to cope with that. He finds himself running against horses of the same calibre, but having to concede lumps of weight to them and that’s obviously hard to do.
Next up, we’ve got WORDEN PARK in the Follow At The Races On Twitter Novice Stakes (5.05). She’s a nice sort of filly, but this is only her second run and the trouble with these novice races is that horses like her have to run in them without really having a fair chance. Much higher-rated horses farm these kind of contests, but you’ve got to run in them until you’ve got a handicap mark and that’s not really ideal.
The last of the Saturday runners is TOMBOLO in the Sky Sports Racing HD Virgin 535 Handicap (5.40). The one-and-a-quarter mile trip should suit, but I would be a bit worried about the firm ground. We’ll see how things go overnight and in the morning, but he’s one where we’ll be taking a long look at the ground before deciding whether he runs.
The first of the two Sunday runners is TIME FOR A GOOD UN in the Follow @WillHillRacing on Twitter Novice Auction Stakes (12.55) at Ripon. He disappointed last time when he ran at Newcastle, but it was maybe a case of him not really liking the all-weather. Seven furlongs might really be his trip, but we’re a bit short of races so we’ve decided to take a bit of a chance over a mile. Hopefully, he’ll do himself justice.
Last but certainly not least, DAKOTA GOLD runs in the William Hill Great St Wilfrid Handicap (3.15), having won the race last year. He was fantastic for us last season, but like Troubador, he’s really paying the price for that this year with his handicap mark. He’s top weight here, so he’ll be giving a lot of weight away to the rest of the field. Ideally, he wants a bit of cut, so the state of the ground would be a slight concern. He’s in good form though – he just wants a bit of cut and a bit of luck, and then we’ll see what happens.
It’s obviously York’s Ebor meeting next weekend, but with him running this weekend, we won’t be entering Dakota Gold in the Nunthorpe. We discussed it with the owners and were all in agreement that this was the way to go."