Denton Hall News
- 24-Jan-2021: Latest News from Denton Hall Stables the home of Michael Dods Racing
- 15-Dec-2020: Whittle le Woods gets up in final furlong to win at Newastle under a Paul Mulrennan drive
- 07-Nov-2020: Dakota Gold storms to a hat-trick as he wins the listed Wentworth Stakes at Doncaster under Paul Mulrennan
- 27-Oct-2020: Perfect Sign strikes at Southwell to give Oisin Murphy his 1,000th winner and our first winner for Qatar Racing
- 27-Oct-2020: Byron's Choice brings up the 40-winner mark for the season, and secures a Catterick double, under Callum Rodriquez
- 27-Oct-2020: Secret Eagle lands 50-1 surprise in the hands of Phil Dennis at Catterick
- 23-Oct-2020: Bellatrixsa steps up in distance to land first race under Callum Rodriguez at Newcastle
- 19-Oct-2020: John Kirkup and Connor Beasley strike at Pontefract
- 16-Oct-2020: First Greyed strikes at Haydock under Connor Beasley to score for the second time this season
- 14-Oct-2020: He's done it again - Dakota Gold blitzes them in the Rous Stakes under Connor Beasley
- 10-Oct-2020: Dakota Gold and Connor Beasley spreadeagle the field to land the Group 3 Bengough Stakes at York
- 26-Sep-2020: Commanche Falls makes it three for the season by winning at Haydock under Connor Beasley
- 25-Sep-2020: Billy No Mates comes from last to first to win again at Haydock
- 21-Sep-2020: Blackrod lives up to debut promise to win impressively at Hamilton under Callum Rodriguez
- 18-Sep-2020: Aliento and Callum Rodriguez win in good style at Catterick
- 15-Sep-2020: Twist of Hay makes it a seaside double at Redcar under Connor Beasley
- 15-Sep-2020: Madreselva gets up in thrilling finish at Redcar under Callum Rodriquez
- 10-Sep-2020: Commanche Falls runs on well under Connor Beasley to win at Haydock
- 04-Sep-2020: Billy No Mates wins at Haydock under Connor Beasley at 16-1
- 01-Sep-2020: Veteran Mustaqbal and Callum Rodriguez make it a double for the stable at Ripon
- 01-Sep-2020: Challet gets up under Paul Mulrennan to win at Ripon
- 27-Aug-2020: Dakota Gold and Connor Beasley make all to land the listed Beverley Bullet
- 27-Aug-2020: Northern Express wins first time out at Beverley under Paul Mulrennan
- 24-Aug-2020: Inductive strikes again at Ayr under Callum Rodriguez
- 21-Aug-2020: Que Amoro runs a blinder to push Battaash all the way in the Nunthorpe
- 20-Jul-2020: 5% shares available in winning three-year-old Gigi's Beach, bought for Denton Hall Racing syndicate
- 12-Jul-2020: Third win of the weekend as Antico Lady holds on gamely under Paul Mulrennan at Hamilton
- 11-Jul-2020: Magisterium and Paul Mulrennan get up in dying strides to win at Newcastle
- 10-Jul-2020: The latest weekend preview - see the news section
- 14-Jun-2020: Barney's Blog latest - all the gossip through the eyes of Barney McGrew
Dakota Gold has 'tough task' on last outing of the season
TRAINER Michael Dods has warned that Dakota Gold faces a tough task on his last run of the season if veteran sprinter Brando repeats his most recent form on Champions' Day at Ascot.
The pair head the betting for the listed Betfair Wentworth Stakes over six furlongs at Doncaster, and Michael reports that Dakota Gold (main picture) remains in good form.
However, he has to give five pounds to the Kevin Ryan-trained Brando, who was only beaten a nose by Glen Shiel in the Group 1 Qipco British Champions Sprint Stakes at Ascot.
Michael said: "You'd have to say if Brando puts up the same performance as he did on Champions' Day at Ascot last time, he's going to be very hard to beat."
The trainer goes into more detail about Dakota Gold, as well as Get Knotted and Byron's Choice, in the regular Weekend Preview below:
'We've reached the last Saturday of what's been a challenging but ultimately successful Flat season and we have three runners at Doncaster Racecourse. DAKOTA GOLD runs in the listed Betfair Wentworth Stakes over six furlongs and he's again done us proud this season.
Two listed wins and a Group 3 victory in the Coral Bengough Stakes over six furlongs at York is another great return, and he'll stay in training as a seven-year-old next season.
The Doncaster race is again over six furlongs but he's got a penalty to carry in what's a hot contest. You'd have to say if Kevin Ryan's Brando puts up the same performance as he did on Champions' Day at Ascot last time, he's going to be very hard to beat. He was only beaten a nose by Glen Shiel in the Group 1 Qipco British Champions Sprint Stakes, and Dakota Gold's now got to give him five pounds.
With Connor Beasley in Dubai, Paul Mulrennan takes the ride for the first time. The horse is in good form for what will be his last run of the season, he'll have his favoured soft ground, and he owes us nothing.
Then we have GET KNOTTED AND BYRON'S CHOICE both running in the Ryan Moore Columns On Betting Betfair Apprentice Handicap (Future Apprentice Stars Series). It's again at Doncaster, this time over seven furlongs, and it's another competitive race.
Our stable apprentice Aidan Redpath rides Get Knotted, and it's a good opportunity for him, while Oliver Stammers, who's apprenticed to Mark Johnston, takes the ride on Byron's Choice.
Get Knotted (pictured below) kept on well to be third at Newmarket on heavy going last time and is clearly in good heart. He's better on a turning track and we all know seven furlongs at York is the ideal combination. He just hasn't had that opportunity with the restricted programme this season, but he'll stay in training next year.
Byron's Choice won really well at Catterick last time (see picture below) and has gone up in the handicap as a result. He would probably prefer a turning track too but both horses are in good form and, hopefully, they'll run well.'