Denton Hall News
- 28-Jan-2021: Latest News from Denton Hall Stables the home of Michael Dods Racing
- 15-Dec-2020: Whittle le Woods gets up in final furlong to win at Newastle under a Paul Mulrennan drive
- 07-Nov-2020: Dakota Gold storms to a hat-trick as he wins the listed Wentworth Stakes at Doncaster under Paul Mulrennan
- 27-Oct-2020: Perfect Sign strikes at Southwell to give Oisin Murphy his 1,000th winner and our first winner for Qatar Racing
- 27-Oct-2020: Byron's Choice brings up the 40-winner mark for the season, and secures a Catterick double, under Callum Rodriquez
- 27-Oct-2020: Secret Eagle lands 50-1 surprise in the hands of Phil Dennis at Catterick
- 23-Oct-2020: Bellatrixsa steps up in distance to land first race under Callum Rodriguez at Newcastle
- 19-Oct-2020: John Kirkup and Connor Beasley strike at Pontefract
- 16-Oct-2020: First Greyed strikes at Haydock under Connor Beasley to score for the second time this season
- 14-Oct-2020: He's done it again - Dakota Gold blitzes them in the Rous Stakes under Connor Beasley
- 10-Oct-2020: Dakota Gold and Connor Beasley spreadeagle the field to land the Group 3 Bengough Stakes at York
- 26-Sep-2020: Commanche Falls makes it three for the season by winning at Haydock under Connor Beasley
- 25-Sep-2020: Billy No Mates comes from last to first to win again at Haydock
- 21-Sep-2020: Blackrod lives up to debut promise to win impressively at Hamilton under Callum Rodriguez
- 18-Sep-2020: Aliento and Callum Rodriguez win in good style at Catterick
- 15-Sep-2020: Twist of Hay makes it a seaside double at Redcar under Connor Beasley
- 15-Sep-2020: Madreselva gets up in thrilling finish at Redcar under Callum Rodriquez
- 10-Sep-2020: Commanche Falls runs on well under Connor Beasley to win at Haydock
- 04-Sep-2020: Billy No Mates wins at Haydock under Connor Beasley at 16-1
- 01-Sep-2020: Veteran Mustaqbal and Callum Rodriguez make it a double for the stable at Ripon
- 01-Sep-2020: Challet gets up under Paul Mulrennan to win at Ripon
- 27-Aug-2020: Dakota Gold and Connor Beasley make all to land the listed Beverley Bullet
- 27-Aug-2020: Northern Express wins first time out at Beverley under Paul Mulrennan
- 24-Aug-2020: Inductive strikes again at Ayr under Callum Rodriguez
- 21-Aug-2020: Que Amoro runs a blinder to push Battaash all the way in the Nunthorpe
- 20-Jul-2020: 5% shares available in winning three-year-old Gigi's Beach, bought for Denton Hall Racing syndicate
- 12-Jul-2020: Third win of the weekend as Antico Lady holds on gamely under Paul Mulrennan at Hamilton
- 11-Jul-2020: Magisterium and Paul Mulrennan get up in dying strides to win at Newcastle
- 10-Jul-2020: The latest weekend preview - see the news section
- 14-Jun-2020: Barney's Blog latest - all the gossip through the eyes of Barney McGrew
Dakota Gold looks York-bound after bulleting back to winning form
DAKOTA Gold is likely to try to repeat last year’s success in the listed Betfred Garrowby Stakes at York after bouncing back to winning form in today’s William Hill Beverley Bullet Sprint Stakes.
Trainer Michael Dods said it was the first time the six-year-old gelding had encountered the right conditions in five attempts this season.
Jockey Connor Beasley rode a positive race from the front in the five-furlong listed race at Beverley and the horse ran on well to beat Kevin Ryan’s Last Empire by a length and a half.
Michael said this season was always likely to be tough for Dakota Gold following his five wins in 2019 but today’s conditions were “spot on”.
“He’s a soft ground horse and the ground dried up for his first three runs of the season at Doncaster, Sandown and Newbury,” said the Denton trainer.
“Then the ground was adequate last time in the Great St Wilfrid Handicap at Ripon but he was carrying 9st 10lb against the winner’s 8st 5lbs. You could see he was coming back to his best but it was a lot of weight to give away.
“If he was going to return to winning form, today was his best chance and it was nice to see him bounce back the way he did.”
At the start of the season, Michael and owners – Doug Graham, Ian Davison and Alan Drysdale – had envisaged targeting listed and group races in France and Ireland, but Covid-19 restrictions had forced a rethink.
Dakota Gold’s most likely next race will, therefore, be York’s Garrowby Stakes in early September, followed by the listed Rous Stakes, at Ascot, and the Group 3 Wentworth Stakes at Doncaster.
The Garrowby Stakes was the fourth of the gelding’s wins last season, coming home clear of Michael Appleby’s Danzeno.
“I haven’t discussed it with the owners yet and there are other possibilities but that’s the probable route now,” said Michael.
The trainer was also delighted to win earlier on the Beverley card with newcomer Northern Express, owned like Jawwaal by The Sekura Group, and ridden by Paul Mulrennan.
The Zoffany colt exceeded expectations by finishing strongly to land the William Hill Extra Places Every Day EBF Novice Stakes (Division One) in the style of a nice prospect.
Michael said: “He’s always looked a nice horse. He’s well-bred and we’ve given him plenty of time but it was important to get him on the racecourse.
“We expected him to run nicely, but a bit green, and maybe finish third or fourth. Anything more than was a bonus but he’s done it nicely and is a horse with a future.”