Denton Hall News
- 28-Jan-2021: Latest News from Denton Hall Stables the home of Michael Dods Racing
- 15-Dec-2020: Whittle le Woods gets up in final furlong to win at Newastle under a Paul Mulrennan drive
- 07-Nov-2020: Dakota Gold storms to a hat-trick as he wins the listed Wentworth Stakes at Doncaster under Paul Mulrennan
- 27-Oct-2020: Perfect Sign strikes at Southwell to give Oisin Murphy his 1,000th winner and our first winner for Qatar Racing
- 27-Oct-2020: Byron's Choice brings up the 40-winner mark for the season, and secures a Catterick double, under Callum Rodriquez
- 27-Oct-2020: Secret Eagle lands 50-1 surprise in the hands of Phil Dennis at Catterick
- 23-Oct-2020: Bellatrixsa steps up in distance to land first race under Callum Rodriguez at Newcastle
- 19-Oct-2020: John Kirkup and Connor Beasley strike at Pontefract
- 16-Oct-2020: First Greyed strikes at Haydock under Connor Beasley to score for the second time this season
- 14-Oct-2020: He's done it again - Dakota Gold blitzes them in the Rous Stakes under Connor Beasley
- 10-Oct-2020: Dakota Gold and Connor Beasley spreadeagle the field to land the Group 3 Bengough Stakes at York
- 26-Sep-2020: Commanche Falls makes it three for the season by winning at Haydock under Connor Beasley
- 25-Sep-2020: Billy No Mates comes from last to first to win again at Haydock
- 21-Sep-2020: Blackrod lives up to debut promise to win impressively at Hamilton under Callum Rodriguez
- 18-Sep-2020: Aliento and Callum Rodriguez win in good style at Catterick
- 15-Sep-2020: Twist of Hay makes it a seaside double at Redcar under Connor Beasley
- 15-Sep-2020: Madreselva gets up in thrilling finish at Redcar under Callum Rodriquez
- 10-Sep-2020: Commanche Falls runs on well under Connor Beasley to win at Haydock
- 04-Sep-2020: Billy No Mates wins at Haydock under Connor Beasley at 16-1
- 01-Sep-2020: Veteran Mustaqbal and Callum Rodriguez make it a double for the stable at Ripon
- 01-Sep-2020: Challet gets up under Paul Mulrennan to win at Ripon
- 27-Aug-2020: Dakota Gold and Connor Beasley make all to land the listed Beverley Bullet
- 27-Aug-2020: Northern Express wins first time out at Beverley under Paul Mulrennan
- 24-Aug-2020: Inductive strikes again at Ayr under Callum Rodriguez
- 21-Aug-2020: Que Amoro runs a blinder to push Battaash all the way in the Nunthorpe
- 20-Jul-2020: 5% shares available in winning three-year-old Gigi's Beach, bought for Denton Hall Racing syndicate
- 12-Jul-2020: Third win of the weekend as Antico Lady holds on gamely under Paul Mulrennan at Hamilton
- 11-Jul-2020: Magisterium and Paul Mulrennan get up in dying strides to win at Newcastle
- 10-Jul-2020: The latest weekend preview - see the news section
- 14-Jun-2020: Barney's Blog latest - all the gossip through the eyes of Barney McGrew
Dods criticises some northern racecourses for not doing enough to cater for owners
RACEHORSE trainer Michael Dods has criticised some northern courses for failing to do enough for owners during the difficult lockdown period.
Dods, one of the north’s top trainers, said: “In some cases, it hasn’t been good enough, and there’s a real chance owners will walk away from the sport if they’re not treated better.”
The Denton Hall handler singled out Scottish tracks Hamilton (pictured) and Perth for praise because they had “tried harder than most” to cater for owners, providing fish and chips and sandwiches as well as other refreshments.
But he said some of the northern courses had provided “the bare minimum” of tea, coffee, cold drinks, biscuits and crisps.
“Catering staff might be furloughed but we are only talking of 30 or so owners at a meeting so it shouldn’t be difficult to at least order in sealed packs of sandwiches,” said Dods.
Dods has previously praised the racing authorities for the safe and efficient way the resumption of racing has been handled but he warned that owners have to be treated better.
“Owners are the lifeblood of racing and, without them, we don’t have a sport,” he said.
From July 28, racecourses will be allowed to ease the two-person per horse limit, with the exact numbers determined by the racecourses. There will also be greater flexibility around the time owners are permitted to spend on the course.
Racecourses will be allowed “to offer hospitality for owners in line with the guidance for restaurants, pubs and bars”.
Racecourses are currently limited to offering only essential food and drink.