Denton Hall News
- 28-Jan-2021: Latest News from Denton Hall Stables the home of Michael Dods Racing
- 15-Dec-2020: Whittle le Woods gets up in final furlong to win at Newastle under a Paul Mulrennan drive
- 07-Nov-2020: Dakota Gold storms to a hat-trick as he wins the listed Wentworth Stakes at Doncaster under Paul Mulrennan
- 27-Oct-2020: Perfect Sign strikes at Southwell to give Oisin Murphy his 1,000th winner and our first winner for Qatar Racing
- 27-Oct-2020: Byron's Choice brings up the 40-winner mark for the season, and secures a Catterick double, under Callum Rodriquez
- 27-Oct-2020: Secret Eagle lands 50-1 surprise in the hands of Phil Dennis at Catterick
- 23-Oct-2020: Bellatrixsa steps up in distance to land first race under Callum Rodriguez at Newcastle
- 19-Oct-2020: John Kirkup and Connor Beasley strike at Pontefract
- 16-Oct-2020: First Greyed strikes at Haydock under Connor Beasley to score for the second time this season
- 14-Oct-2020: He's done it again - Dakota Gold blitzes them in the Rous Stakes under Connor Beasley
- 10-Oct-2020: Dakota Gold and Connor Beasley spreadeagle the field to land the Group 3 Bengough Stakes at York
- 26-Sep-2020: Commanche Falls makes it three for the season by winning at Haydock under Connor Beasley
- 25-Sep-2020: Billy No Mates comes from last to first to win again at Haydock
- 21-Sep-2020: Blackrod lives up to debut promise to win impressively at Hamilton under Callum Rodriguez
- 18-Sep-2020: Aliento and Callum Rodriguez win in good style at Catterick
- 15-Sep-2020: Twist of Hay makes it a seaside double at Redcar under Connor Beasley
- 15-Sep-2020: Madreselva gets up in thrilling finish at Redcar under Callum Rodriquez
- 10-Sep-2020: Commanche Falls runs on well under Connor Beasley to win at Haydock
- 04-Sep-2020: Billy No Mates wins at Haydock under Connor Beasley at 16-1
- 01-Sep-2020: Veteran Mustaqbal and Callum Rodriguez make it a double for the stable at Ripon
- 01-Sep-2020: Challet gets up under Paul Mulrennan to win at Ripon
- 27-Aug-2020: Dakota Gold and Connor Beasley make all to land the listed Beverley Bullet
- 27-Aug-2020: Northern Express wins first time out at Beverley under Paul Mulrennan
- 24-Aug-2020: Inductive strikes again at Ayr under Callum Rodriguez
- 21-Aug-2020: Que Amoro runs a blinder to push Battaash all the way in the Nunthorpe
- 20-Jul-2020: 5% shares available in winning three-year-old Gigi's Beach, bought for Denton Hall Racing syndicate
- 12-Jul-2020: Third win of the weekend as Antico Lady holds on gamely under Paul Mulrennan at Hamilton
- 11-Jul-2020: Magisterium and Paul Mulrennan get up in dying strides to win at Newcastle
- 10-Jul-2020: The latest weekend preview - see the news section
- 14-Jun-2020: Barney's Blog latest - all the gossip through the eyes of Barney McGrew
Dods hopes The Curragh stays dry as Que Amoro bids for Group 1 glory
TRAINER Michael Dods is hoping the rain clouds stay away from The Curragh as Que Amoro bids for Group 1 glory in Ireland on Sunday.
The flying filly heads across the water for the Derrinstown Flying Five Stakes following her gallant second to Battaash in the Nunthorpe Stakes at York last month.
And Michael is hoping the ground dries out as she takes on another quality field that includes Denis Hogan's multiple listed winner Make A Challenge and Kevin Ryan's Glass Slippers, winner of last season's Prix del'Abbaye.
He gives his assessment of Que Amoro and the stable's three other weekend runners, including Jawwaal in the Portland Handicap at Doncaster, in his regular Weekend Preview:
"We kick off on Saturday with JAWWAAL in the bet365 Portland Handicap at Doncaster. He’s been a star for us this season, winning on his first two runs at Doncaster and Ascot over five furlongs.
He then went to York in a race over five and a half furlongs on ground that was too slow. He finished 10th of 21 that day but was less than five lengths behind the winner.
We think he’s a proper five furlong horse but the Portland is another five and a half furlong contest. That said, the ground should be better than at York and he’ll, hopefully, run well with Callum Rodriguez in the saddle. (He's pictured below with Aidan Redpath.)
Next we have SCARBOROUGHDEBUT in the Visit racingtv.com Nursery Handicap up at Musselburgh. This is her fourth run and she’s progressing nicely. She could do with some rain and it’s forecast to get some up there. She really seems quite sharp and, although it’s a competitive race at this level, she should put up a good account. Paul Mulrennan rides.
Then, on Sunday, QUE AMORO is in action atThe Curragh in Group 1 Derrinstown Stud Flying Five Stakes. She obviously ran a big race to make Battaash pull out all the stops in the Nunthorpe at York last time. She always runs well at York – she seems to like the flat five furlongs there. This is a stiff five and we’re hoping the ground dries up and they don’t get a lot of rain tonight.
She’s well and she’s earned the right to travel over there and compete in a top class race like this. Paul Mulrennan is back in the saddle.
Finally, we have COLD LIGHT OF DAY in the Sky Sports Racing HD Virgin 535 Handicap on the all-weather at Wolverhampton. She got bogged down in heavy ground at Catterick last time but she stays and, if anything, another step up in trip would probably suit. She tries hard and we think the surface will suit her, so hopefully, she runs well. Callum Rodriguez rides.