Denton Hall News
- 24-Jan-2021: Latest News from Denton Hall Stables the home of Michael Dods Racing
- 15-Dec-2020: Whittle le Woods gets up in final furlong to win at Newastle under a Paul Mulrennan drive
- 07-Nov-2020: Dakota Gold storms to a hat-trick as he wins the listed Wentworth Stakes at Doncaster under Paul Mulrennan
- 27-Oct-2020: Perfect Sign strikes at Southwell to give Oisin Murphy his 1,000th winner and our first winner for Qatar Racing
- 27-Oct-2020: Byron's Choice brings up the 40-winner mark for the season, and secures a Catterick double, under Callum Rodriquez
- 27-Oct-2020: Secret Eagle lands 50-1 surprise in the hands of Phil Dennis at Catterick
- 23-Oct-2020: Bellatrixsa steps up in distance to land first race under Callum Rodriguez at Newcastle
- 19-Oct-2020: John Kirkup and Connor Beasley strike at Pontefract
- 16-Oct-2020: First Greyed strikes at Haydock under Connor Beasley to score for the second time this season
- 14-Oct-2020: He's done it again - Dakota Gold blitzes them in the Rous Stakes under Connor Beasley
- 10-Oct-2020: Dakota Gold and Connor Beasley spreadeagle the field to land the Group 3 Bengough Stakes at York
- 26-Sep-2020: Commanche Falls makes it three for the season by winning at Haydock under Connor Beasley
- 25-Sep-2020: Billy No Mates comes from last to first to win again at Haydock
- 21-Sep-2020: Blackrod lives up to debut promise to win impressively at Hamilton under Callum Rodriguez
- 18-Sep-2020: Aliento and Callum Rodriguez win in good style at Catterick
- 15-Sep-2020: Twist of Hay makes it a seaside double at Redcar under Connor Beasley
- 15-Sep-2020: Madreselva gets up in thrilling finish at Redcar under Callum Rodriquez
- 10-Sep-2020: Commanche Falls runs on well under Connor Beasley to win at Haydock
- 04-Sep-2020: Billy No Mates wins at Haydock under Connor Beasley at 16-1
- 01-Sep-2020: Veteran Mustaqbal and Callum Rodriguez make it a double for the stable at Ripon
- 01-Sep-2020: Challet gets up under Paul Mulrennan to win at Ripon
- 27-Aug-2020: Dakota Gold and Connor Beasley make all to land the listed Beverley Bullet
- 27-Aug-2020: Northern Express wins first time out at Beverley under Paul Mulrennan
- 24-Aug-2020: Inductive strikes again at Ayr under Callum Rodriguez
- 21-Aug-2020: Que Amoro runs a blinder to push Battaash all the way in the Nunthorpe
- 20-Jul-2020: 5% shares available in winning three-year-old Gigi's Beach, bought for Denton Hall Racing syndicate
- 12-Jul-2020: Third win of the weekend as Antico Lady holds on gamely under Paul Mulrennan at Hamilton
- 11-Jul-2020: Magisterium and Paul Mulrennan get up in dying strides to win at Newcastle
- 10-Jul-2020: The latest weekend preview - see the news section
- 14-Jun-2020: Barney's Blog latest - all the gossip through the eyes of Barney McGrew
Prix de L'Abbaye an option for Que Amoro after flying filly pushes Battaash all the way
TRAINER Michael Dods has revealed that the Prix de L’Abbaye is a live option for Que Amoro after she pushed Battaash all the way in today’s Group 1 Coolmore Nunthorpe Stakes at York.
The Denton Hall trainer spoke of his pride in the progressive four-year-old filly after she gave the world’s best sprinter a real fright on The Knavesmire.
“She’s ran an absolute blinder and made one of the best sprinters we’ve ever seen pull out all the stops,” said Dods.
Dods and jockey Paul Mulrennan had agreed that Que Amoro should be ridden aggressively whatever the ground – and that was certainly the case as she went head to head with Battaash until Jim Crowley’s mount forged ahead close home.
“Coming into the race, we were a bit concerned about the ground because she’d shown her best form on a quicker surface but the plan was to make the most of her speed from the start and see what happened.
“We thought if we could finish in the first four, we’d be happy, but to get that close to Battash was tremendous.
“She’s clearly an improving filly, who’s extremely quick and with a high cruising speed. To go that close in a Group 1 is a step up on anything she’s done before and she clearly loves this track.”
Que Amoro, owned by Anne Elliott and Peter Appleton, is entered in the Group 1 Derrinstown Stud Flying Five Stakes over five furlongs at The Curragh, on September 13.
However, Dods said another “realistic possibility” would be supplementing her for the Abbaye at Longchamp, famously won by the stable’s Mabs Cross in 2018.
“The races pick themselves really but they would be our options,” he said. “She’s proved she’s capable of living with the best and the great thing is that she’s getting better.”
Winning jockey Jim Crowley paid Que Amoro a compliment after the race, saying: “That horse was hard to pass.”
There was quick consolation for Dods when Brunch won the Sky Bet Mile Stakes Handicap under Callum Rodriguez.